Using ESPHome on critical devices, such as networking gear
In an effort to monitor the consumption of everything- I ran across an unusual problem.
When connecting my core switch to a ESPHome flashed smart switch, I noticed two things-
- It is very easy to accidentally turn the switch off.
- This is a problem, because you cannot turn it back on remotely! Since, wifi connects to the core switch.
- When flashing updated firmware, the relay will quickly toggle for a very short duration.
- This can cause devices to power cycle.
So, I set out to see how I could customize my configuration to be suitable for managing my core switch.
I will be implementing:
- A button to power-cycle the core switch.
- Configuration to prevent the relay from toggling during firmware updates / ESPHome restarts.
- Removing toggle switches.